Thursday 12 June 2008

Closing Statement

Hi everyone, I hope that you are all doing well and realising your plans for the future. I’m currently looking for a job or freelance work, so get in touch if you know anyone who needs a website!

It’s been a great year. Some of the highlights for me included Transmediale Festival and Berlin, and the amazing array of practicing professionals which we have had in to speak to us. I’d like to thank them all for their time and let them know that they have all inspired me in some way. Thanks to Micheál for getting them all in and organising the course so well.

I feel like I have learnt so much in such a short space of time and really refined my research and design skills. The projects we have done have all been very challenging, but each one has also been incredibly rewarding.

As a person who came from a working environment back into education I would definitely encourage anyone in a similar position to go for it. However, do not expect an easy ride! I have been working pretty much non-stop throughout the year and have been constantly thinking about the briefs which we have been set. If you enjoy a challenge, and have the time to dedicate to it, then this course is for you.

Some of the books which I’ve found incredibly useful throughout the course include (in no particular order):

The Design of Everyday Things
By Donald A. Norman

The invisible computer : why good products can fail, the personal computer is so complex, and information appliances are the solution
By Donald A. Norman

Eye and Brain: The Psychology of Seeing
By R. L. Gregory

The language of new media
By Lev Manovich

Clicking in: Hot Links to a Digital Culture

By Lynn Hershman-Leeson

Killer Web Content: Make the Sale, Deliver the Service, Build the Brand

By Gerry McGovern

I think that the show went really well and it was great to see everyone’s work displayed. I wish everyone the best of luck for the future and I hope that you all keep in touch. I think Colin has made a Facebook group for the course, which might be a nice way to keep in contact. I’ll leave you with the cartoon I drew for Micheál:

Micheál - is it tho?!

1 comment:

Mocksim said...

Thanks for best books list. And pic of me seems very accurate. Thanks.