Wednesday 19 March 2008

The Power of Words

Hi guys, thanks for all of your comments on my Constructive Criticism blog post, some very interesting opinions and points raised.

I’ve just come across some quotes in my research which I thought might be appropriate to post, on the subject of the power of words.

“Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care, for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.”
-Buddha

“Without the force of words it is impossible to know men.”
-Confucius

“Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.”
-Rudyard Kipling

“Give me 26 lead soldiers and I will conquer the world.”
-Benjamin Franklin

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
-Mark Twain

Another quote I really like and came across a while ago whilst doing research for the Design Futures project is from The Post-human Condition by Robert Pepperell. It’s a bit off topic but you might find it interesting-

“It is a deficiency of humans that they require others to tell them what they already know. It is only then that they will believe it. The Post-Human avoids excessive scholarship, preferring to spend one hour thinking rather than ten hours reading.”

Enjoy!

If anyone has any more interesting quotes please leave them in a comment :-)

No comments: